Thursday, July 1, 2010

Raping languages

Me thinks it is time to write some lighter stuff for a change. Perhapsly I've got this all wrong? Perhaps all the writings in a blog don't have to be full of substance and facts and rationale?

This time I am gonna rant and rave about raping languages, my favourite hobby. Rape a language or play with words, whatever which way you wanna put it. I've found I am constantly doing it, so I must have some kinda weird urge to do so. I seem to rape all the languages at my disposal, pretty much every day of the week.

Anyways, this topic reminds me first and foremost of Borat and his fine documentary called "Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan". I found it hilarious. What first springs to mind are occurrences where a man mentions "mormons". Somehow - quite unintentionally, I think - Borat picks up the word as "moron" and talks of morons ever since. Another occurrence at a dinner table - a man tells Borat he is "retired" and Borat instantly recognises the word as "retarded". The whole table then rushes to help and tells Borat that the man is not retarded... And so forth...

Probably most of the "document's" scenes are real, but most likely the climax where Borat tries to kidnap Pamela Anderson is not a real world occurrence but staged. I first thought they might have been that crazy, but I've come to realize there would be legal implications. However, some of those poor people in the movie are fooled in so a humiliating and total fashion that they must have felt grossly insulted when they saw the film or learned of it. I absolutely couldn't have done what Borat did.

One of my own inventions in the field of language-rape is the word Repuglican. It is a combination of the words repugnant and Republican. From there you might quite unequivocally figure out my opinion of the Republicans in the US and A.

Right now, no other word plays come to mind. Feel free to add your own wordplay examples in the comments, if you remember any. Funny thing, I found the concept wordplay was even defined in Wikipedia...

No comments:

Post a Comment